How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16308
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Shadow spots in eyes

Resolved Question:

shadow spots in eyes
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What part of the eye are you talking about? Can you describe the shadows? Do you mean you see shadows in your vision or you see a darker area on some part of your eye?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its just like a fly/spot crossiing my vision
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.


Thanks for the clarification. This is probably just a floater, whichare thickened gel spots within the vitreous fluid of the eye. However, your ophthalmologist should examine your eye to make sure that is all it is. If you see flashes of light, that may just be because of a detached retina and that is an ophthalmological emergency. By middle age or older, it can also be just mechanical irritation of the photoreceptors of the eye. The important thing is that you need to have it checked to make sure it is insignificant. You can't just assume that it is.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its not flashes of light, its a dark dot that flots across my vision
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Yes, that is called a floater. The inside of the eye is filled with a gel. As we get older (even 40), some bits of the gel thicken. These thickened bits can float about in the more "liquid" fluid and cause floaters or shadows in our vision as we move our eyes. It is scary the first time it happens. It may also be one of the first signs that we are past our youth :-)

Flashers are another possibility that I mentioned just so you would be aware of the difference between the two.

A. Schuyler, NP and other Health Specialists are ready to help you