A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My husband has had body aches and a fever ranging from about

Customer Question

My husband has had body aches and a fever ranging from about 100 to 103 for 2 1/2 days. His glands and neck are swollen, along with his gums and tongue. He has an extremely sore throat and now is getting sores on his tongue. He spits up dark yellow mucus. He went to the doctor yesterday morning and was given high powered penicillin, but no idea what the diagnosis was.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for the question. Without the culture results there is no way to determine exactly what the infection is (other than the generic pharyngitis, etc.). The provider evidently suspects strep since penicillin was prescribed (good choice), and that will also cover a number of other possible bacterial infections. If it is viral, no antibiotic will be effective and your husband's immune system will fight off the virus within the next week or so. For the next few days, it is important to keep your husband well hydrated, and as comfortable as possible. Fever is one of the immune system's ways of fighting off disease. Pathogens are only comfortable within a certain temperature range and raising that temperature kills them. That must be balanced with the patient's well-being. As long as the fever is below about 104 ºF, the patient is safe (if not comfortable). Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen can be used to make him more comforatble along with warm salt water gargles, hard candy or lozenges, warm tea with lemon and honey. I hope he feels better soon.