How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have returned from hospital after having had several blood

Resolved Question:

I have returned from hospital after having had several blood clots on my lungs. I was perscribed warfarin and told not to get pregnant but given no other information. On seeing my dr she has told me i need to see the consultant but i am unable to get an appointment for another 3 weeks (6 weeks since i was first went into hospital ). I dont know what i should be doing or not doing to help myself and i cant get answers from anyone.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you know if they performed blood tests to check for a hypercoagulable state ("thick blood")?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i do not know i had an x ray a scan and blood tests to check for levels of oxygen in my blood .More tests were due to be carrird out to check for infarctation on lungs and heart according to my discharge notes but due to shortage of beds these tests were never conducted to the horror of my doctor.I was informed by my consultant that she would speak to me about my condition and medication on several different occasions but due to shortage of beds it never happened.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, it appears that you have some type of "hypercoagulable state" -- meaning there is a propensity of your blood to clot abnormally (e.g. more likely to clot).

These clots, presumably, formed in the legs (called deep venous thrombosis, or DVT) and traveled to the lungs, causing the clots in the lungs and trouble breathing (pulmonary embolus).

There are a number of medical conditions which could cause this, and the first step is bloodwork to help and narrow this down.

Protein C deficiency
Protein S deficiency
Factor V Leiden
Antiphospholipid antibodies

are all different blood conditions that can cause clots to form. In addition, there are other conditions, such as recent infections, injury/trauma, cancer, pregnancy, birth control pills, etc that could have also contributed to blood clots.

So the first step is to do the bloodwork to figure this out, which your consultant (a hematologist is the specialist in this area) will have to evaluate.

Here is a medical article (in medical language) about the topic:

And here is one, more for the regular person:
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

what should i be doing or not doing to help my condition

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, taking the warfarin helps to thin the blood, so that is the best thing you can do right now.

(Also do not eat too much dark green vegetables --that contain vitamin K-- since that can inactivate the blood thinning effects of the warfarin).

But until your doctors finish evaluating you and coming with the cause of the clots, it is unclear how best to help your condtion, though it probably will require some time of blood thinning medication for a prolonged time.
Dr. Mark and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you