How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having this pain in my mid back, right at the bottom of

This answer was rated:

I am having this pain in my mid back, right at the bottom of my rib cage, on the right side only. it only happens when i am sitting slumped over. It is the feeling like there is a knife in my back, and every time i move it is being twisted. the last time it happened really bad, i got a fever.

How long has it been a problem on this occasion?

Any fever?

Any pain on passing urine, strong odor or change to color of urine?

Any problems with nausea, vomiting?

Is the pain constant or intermittent? On a scale of 1-10, (ten is worst pain) how bad?

Does it prevent you from sleeping?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this has been a problem now for like 3 or 4 months. i have only broken into a fever once, and the pain was a 9.

the urine has been normal, i havent noticed any problem with it.

sometimes i get nausea, but i have never vomited from this problem.

the pain once it starts, wont go away inless i lie down, or sit with my back straight for a couple hours, and every time i move, it hurts again.

the pain scale ranges from 5 to 9, depending on how long i have to sit like that.

it has never happened before i go to bed, so i dont know about that one, i would have to say no

This does not typically sound like a urinary tract infection which would normally be shorter in duration with either urinary symptoms or sustained fever. If this was a kidney stone then we would expect the pain to move into the groin or flanks after some time. Also if it was a kidney problem then we would expect the pain to be present regardless of position.

So a pain that is related to position is most likely a muscle or skeletal problem. This warrants a full history and examination, but you may also need a MRI spine in order to fully understand what is happening.

Do make sure that you sit in a good position with a well supported chair. I would make an appointment with your family doctor or an orthopedic doctor for initial assessment. If the fever were to occur again then certainly have the kidney checked too, but at the moment I would pursue the musculo-skeletal cause first.

Pauline and other Health Specialists are ready to help you