How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kaswilo. my question or problem is ,that my skin in certain

This answer was rated:

hello doctor, my name is ***** ***** my question or problem is ,that my skin in certain areas on my body is totally darker than the rest of my body. for example under my arms are very dark as well as my knees, and in between my thighs.. Dr. if you have the answer, what is my problem and how can i fix life is lonely because of the different colors of my skin....and the fact that i am shame to show my body...please help..Ms. kaswilo

The first thing to be aware of is that our body color will vary in different locations. This can be due to presence of blood vessels,hair follicles, extra pigment or thickened skin. It can be linked to ethnic origin. It is very rarely a medical problem and so we rarely treat discolored skin medically unless there is evidence of a medical problem.

The first thing to do is see your doctor in person for an evaluation, there are some medical conditions which affect hormones which can cause hyperpigmentation and you may need some blood tests to rule out diabetes, or adrenal problems.

If this has affected your confidence then you may benefit from seeing a counselor about your self-esteem. Most people in a relationship will accept you as your are, blemishes and all.

Pauline and other Health Specialists are ready to help you