Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

The doctor did a full blood count about a week ago and he

Customer Question
hello the doctor did a...
hello the doctor did a full blood count about a week ago and he has given me to go and get another one and why would that be and what things would a blood count find..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
4/1/2009
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
The CBC also called as complete blood count is used as a broad screening test to check for anemia, infection, and many other diseases.

White blood cell (WBC) count is a count of the actual number of white blood cells per volume of blood. Both increases and decreases can be significant.
White blood cell differential looks at the types of white blood cells present.
Red blood cell (RBC) count is a count of the actual number of red blood cells per volume of blood.
Hemoglobin (Hb)measures the amount of oxygen-carrying protein in the blood.
.
The platelet count is the number of platelets in a given volume of blood.

CBC can be done on a machine called as cell counter and the result some times need to be rechecked by pathologist by slide method .
Electronic counting instruments sometimes produce artificially low platelet counts .
The reports by cell counter needs to be re checked manually by a pathologist .

Your doctor may want the report to be re checked manually again by the pathologist .

I hope this helps
i dont understand so how do they know if u have anything wrong with you like sumthing serious or life threatening....
In patients with serious disorders there can be gross changes in CBC like WBC count rises abnormally .
Normally it is 4000 to 11000 but in leukemia the count can go upto 50,000.
Also Platelet count can fall in cases with infections .
Hb can also fall in anaemia or blood loss .
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)