Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Will you get sick from eating something with expired vanilla

Customer Question
extract in it?...
will you get sick from eating something with expired vanilla extract in it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2009
Health Professional: Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
HelloCustomer

Many of the dates that are on cans and other foods are arbitrary, and more for the protection of the food industry than anything else. FEDERAL law only mandates labels on infant formula, baby foods, and some states regulate dairy products.

As for vanilla extract, it has alot of alcohol in it, and alcohol is germicidal. I highly doubt that given ONLY expired vanilla extract, you would be sickened.

I hope that helped, and for further reading: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/do-food-expiration-dates-matter

Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)