DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  In practice since 2000.
12594838

Why do I have white shit? What can be the reason?

My shit is white?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrOAB replied 8 years ago.

Please clarify:

Do you mean a clay-like white appearance to your stool(s)?

Is this just once or more than once?

Any dark urine or yellowing to the skin/eyes?

Any history of liver or gallbladder conditions?

Did you take any antacid or other medications before this happened?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It happened today. Twice. It is all white. It shocked me. Do you know why this happens?

Expert:  DrOAB replied 8 years ago.

Bile, which makes stool its normal brownish color, is made in the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and excreted into the intestines via the bile ducts to help digest fats. Pale stools (e.g., tan, white, or gray) may occur with conditions that decrease bile output, such as a gallstone; inflammation, narrowing, or a cyst of the bile ducts; inflammation of the liver, gallbladder, or pancreas; liver cirrhosis (scarring damage); benign or malignant tumor; giardia parasite infection. Other causes of pale stool include the use of aluminum hydroxide antacids or the performance of a barium enema test. Due to undigested fat, pale stool may also float, be shiny or greasy, or be foul-smelling. The chances of a liver disorder are higher if the urine is dark brown or you notice jaundice yellowing of the skin or eyes. Please have your primary doctor evaluate you for the cause of these pale stools if they persist beyond today. Such evaluation may include blood work (e.g., tests of liver function and for the presence of infection), imaging studies (e.g., abdominal ultrasound or CT scan), or organ visualization (e.g., endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, or ERCP). Note that two criteria which predispose one to gallstones are (1) being female and (2) over age 40 years, so your doctor should definitely rule out gallstones if a workup is needed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I had colon surgery 5 years ago due to severe diverticulitis. I have been noticing weird changes in my body lately. My period only lasted one day this month. I have been getting a lot of dizzy spells. I will check with my doctor.

Thank You

Expert:  DrOAB replied 8 years ago.

The other medical history and symptoms you report do not immediately bring to mind a specific diagnosis, but it would be wise for you to have your doctor evaluate for the pale stool and your other concerns.