Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

I am having severe abdominal pain, it comes in waves...sort

Customer Question

I am having severe abdominal pain, it comes in waves...sort of like contractions only much higher. I have also had diarreah since last night and bad gassiness.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You most likely have a viral gastroenteritis, which is a viral infection ( most often caused by norovirus in adults ) of the stomach and intestines. This may cause nausea, vomiting, and an upset stomach. It may also cause lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Viral infections of the G.I. tract will usually resolve within 48-72 hours, however some infections may last up to one week. It is most important during this illness that you maintain hydration. You must drink plenty of fluids. Clear fluids such as clear juices, the syrup juice from canned fruit, or electrolyte drinks (ie. Gatorade) are best. Also Jello and broth may be taken. Do this until you stop vomiting. If you are hungry then you may eat toast, plain rice, or crackers. Then you may progress to the BRAT diet (banana, rice,applesauce, Toast ).To treat the nausea and vomiting or upset stomach you may ask your doctor for Compazine. For diarrhea you may take over-the-counter Imodium or Lomotil as long as no toxin or bacterial infection is suspected. If your symptoms persist for longer then a week or if you develop high fevers or have bloody diarrhea you must see your doctor immediately. While you are sick try to maintain good hygiene with careful handwashing and not sharing your personal items with others as this is how this infection is spread. I hope you feel better.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It may also cause lower abdominal cramps and diarrhea"

This pain is not lower cramps at all. It is very high up...right below my chest. Also the pain is pretty bad...like labor pains...from 1 to 10...like an 8! Is this normal for what you are describing?
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
The fact that you have diarrhea is consistent with a viral gastroenteritis. This can cause cramps throughout the entire abdomen upper and lower. It may or may not cause vomiting not all the typical symptoms or always present. Cramping and diarrhea suggest viral illness. As mentioned if the symptoms continue or if you see any bleeding and you need to be evaluated by your doctor.