Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Do any nerves/veins run though the the corpus

Customer Question
spongiosum?does the corpus spongiosum end...
do any nerves/veins run though the the corpus spongiosum?does the corpus spongiosum end at the prostate?is the corpus spongiosum surrounded by the external sphincter musle?do these nerves/veins enlarge accidently from urethral play and cause nocturnal emissions due to the sphincter muscle?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
3/9/2009
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome back to Just Answer. This is actually several questions.

1. do any nerves/veins run though the the corpus spongiosum? The bulbocavernous artery and veins and their smaller branches run through the corpus spongiosum. There are also small perineal nerve branches from the pudendal nerve located at the posterior margin of the urogenital diaphragm

2. does the corpus spongiosum end at the prostate? No, it doesn't. The spongiosum ends at the penis bulb which is connected to the urogenital diaphragm. The urogenital diaphragm forms the floor of the pelvic cavity. This is below the level of the prostate.

3. is the corpus spongiosum surrounded by the external sphincter musle? No it isn't. The external sphincter muscle is only at the tip of the penis (the urinary meatus). The bulbospongiosus muscle invests both the bulb of the urethra and distal corpus spongiosum. The muscle is supplied by a deep branch of the perineal nerve and helps to empty the final few drops of urine and to ejaculate semen.

4/5. do these nerves/veins enlarge accidently from urethral play and cause nocturnal emissions due to the sphincter muscle? Nerves do not enlarge. The blood vessels enlarge as the penis erects from pleasurable sensations or the anticipation of pleasurable sensations.

This has nothing to do with noctural emissions which are particularly common in the teens and occur to some men throughout their lives. Noctural emissions are involuntary ejaculations that occur when the man is asleep. No one knows exactly what causes them, but it does not appear to be related to frequency of masturbation (or other sex play).

i engaged in urethra play and since then having been having nocturnal emissions on a nighly basis.there appears to be a an enlarged vein? on top of the corpus spongiosum runing fromthe bulb to i presume where the corpus spongiosum ends.urine flow is slighty reduced.im guesing the external sphincter muscle has been compromised by this vein type thing that i can feel.does the bulbocavernous artery and veins run right up to the bladder neck?i dont mean to offend but if ur unsure could a specialist in thi area answer.if the external sphincter muscle could close properly at night, under a full bladder would this cause the nocturnal emissions

Nocturnal emissions are not urine, but semen, so a full ladder isn't going to enter into the picture other than perhaps pressure on the prostate. The bulb of the penis is within the body where you cannot see it, and the "top of the corpus spongiosum" also cannot be seen because it is within the penis itself. Do you mean the glans penis which has the urethral meatus (opening) at the end of it? Any vein you could see on the outside of the corpus spongiosum would lie on the underside of the penis.

If you think you may have damaged your urethra or its sphincter, you would need to see a urologist.

i know nocturnal emissions are not urine.on the top of the urethra, on the top part of the corpus spongiosum there appears to be an enlarged vein.any ideas why the urethral play caused this?once again, if unsure, can you consult with an expert in this field as this is $30

I am not unsure of this and have worked in urology and taught anatomy. The corpus spongiosum is not on the top of the penis; it is on the bottom side and the urethra runs through it. The penis is composed of three types of erectile tissue. The two sections of corpus cavernosum are on top and the corpus spongiosum containing the urethra fits into a groove underneath and between the corpora cavernosa.

The vein that runs along the top of the penis is called the superficial dorsal vein. It provides blood to the skin and outside of the penis. The deep dorsal vein runs beneath it. Below is a cross-sectional diagram looking at the penis from its head (glans) towards the body. As you can see, urethral play would have nothing to do with an enlargement of the superficial or deep dorsal veins.

in the image, the vein like thing is in the top of the corpus spongiosumn as per the image(ie on top of the urethra)
Both the superficial and deep dorsal veins are on top of the corpus cavernosa which are on top of the corpus spongiosum. There is a good minimum of 1/2 inch between them.
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner