How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Intermittent "buzzing" feeling on the left foot, underneath

Resolved Question:

Intermittent "buzzing" feeling on the left foot, underneath the arch. Not painful but feels like a very mild electric shock. Seems more pronounced in the evenings.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any pain/numbness in the calf, or up in the leg?

Which toes does the shock seem to travel to -- the big toe, or the pinky toe?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No pain in the calf. The "shock" doesn't travel. It stays right under the arch of my left foot.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you wear high heels, or shoes that put a lot of pressure on your heel?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I usally wear "flat" shoes--very occasionally a shoe with a flat 1-2in heel. For the last several days I've worn oxfords and hiking boots (it snowed here).
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
OK -- sorry I actually meant to say the inside of the heel, or the inside of the ankle.

Numbness in the arch of the foot, or underneath can often be related to pressure on the tibial nerve, as it goes through the "tarsal tunnel" near the inside of the ankle:

Which can cause pain, numbness, tingling in the inside/bottom of the foot.

Usually resting it and wearing more supportive shoes can help with this condition. Of course, this is just a possible cause -- so if this continues to bother you, or pain or weakness develops, seeing your doctor in person for an exam would be helpful.
Dr. Mark and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions