Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I was wondering how quickly an aneurysm develops til it

Hello, I was wondering how quickly an aneurysm develops til it reptutres. Does it take days, weeks, or years. I just have an MRA and a MRV and it was normal. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

The traditional aneurysm forms as a result of high blood pressure weakening the vessel wall -- which is a process that generally takes years to develop.

However, there are some cases where an existing aneurysm can suddenly enlarge over the course of days or weeks. But for this to happen, the aneurysm usually has to already exist, and it's likely that this was present for months to years prior to the rapid enlargement.

Given that you have had normal studies, it would be very unlikely that you would develop an aneurysm over days to weeks from now (though not impossible).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so my chances are slim that I will develop one in the future. I was concerned because I have been having headaches for 3 weeks that were constant but not terrible, so my doctor recommended that I should get an MRI bacause my optic nerve was enlarged + headaches. My headaches went away for 2 weeks after my MRI now they are back again. Any suggestions how I can make my headaches go away? I am usually not a headache person. My MRI showed no vessel malformations. I also have a stiff usually when I have these headaches. I got my menigitis shot before college started.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Honestly, it is difficult enough to treat headaches after evaluating you in person -- it would be impossible to say anything over the Internet that could really be applicable to you.

Headaches are due to a number of different causes -- but luckily with the clear MRI/MRA, some of the most concerning causes (ruptured aneurysm, tumors, increased intracranial pressure) have been ruled out.

Your best bet would be to make an appointment with a neurologist who specializes in headaches to evaluate you.