How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16292
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Has an ear infection Cholesteoma, we are interested in an

Resolved Question:

Dorothy has an ear infection Cholesteoma, we are interested in an alternative treatment rather than surgery, is there any alternative treatment, can the ear be washed regularly with some infection fighting solution???
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Cholesteatoma is a defect in the middle ear in which a growth exists. It will continue to grow unless removed surgically. It has the potential to cause conductive hearing loss, facial paralysis, brain abscess, and other serious complications. Since it is in the middle ear, there is no solution that can be induced into the ear canal that will reach it. Antibiotics are used in the ear to treat any infection that contributed to the formation of the cholesteatoma if it is from repeated ear infections rather than a congenital problem. Your otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat doctor) would be the one to determine if this would be an option, or if the only treatment would be surgical.

A. Schuyler, NP and other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions