Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have taken the meds 3 times in the last 5 weeks, I wash

Customer Question
sheets daily, I dont shake...
I have taken the meds 3 times in the last 5 weeks, I wash sheets daily, I dont shake them, I shower 2xs a day and wash all clothes in hot water and hot dryer, I scrub bathroom down every day more then once, I have no kids, Does bleach kill the eggs? does rubbing alcohol?
would a bug bomb help?
I feel like a leper, Im afraid to leave the house, I cant make the itching stop....Im am getting very depressed
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
2/15/2009
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)

DearCustomer

Thank you for writing to just answer with your health concern.

Young children are often the ones who get them, usually in day care. Do you have a grandchild coming in to your home? Also vacuum the furniture, if you have not done this.

Additionally, you could have rid yourself of them, but have rectal itching remaining. A way to check to see if you do have pinworms for sure still is to place a piece of cellophane type over the area at night. The article below explains the exact procedure.

If there are no eggs or pinworms and the rectal area is irritated, your may want to try a hydrocortizone cream to the area.

The article below has several pages, but I am giving you a link to the page with the mediacations. If you have tried the medications that you can buy over the counter, you may need to see your physician for a prescription medication. See: http://www.medicinenet.com/pinworm_infection/article.htm

and

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/pinworm/factsht_pinworm.htm -Has specific guidelines for removing pinworms from the home.

If you find you are having difficulty with rectal itching and don't have pinworms, hemorroids and constipation, yeast infections are some other problems that can cause itching.

I hope this helps.

If you have questions or comments, please reply so that we can address them.

I do have grandkids, and they did have pinworms, and I saw them in my stool,

I saw them up to yesterday even thought I have taken the meds 3 times now in 5 weeks

I would suspect your grand kids may be bringing them in. They can be tested with the cellophane tape.

Do you have any other questions?
they did bring them over, but they were tested, and treated and all fine now...and Im not letting them come back till all are clear for awhile...but I cant get rid of them....here
Have you taken the prescription medication yet? That may be what you have to do. Maybe have to have your sofa professionally cleaned? Also, read the second link to see recommendations, just in case there is anything you missed.
I have taken the percription meds 3 times in the last 5 weeks...my husband like half the country lost his job....I dont have much money for all this...will a bug bomb work?and how do we know its the sofa? maybe its the carpets walls and sofa and everything else
This must be really frustrating for you. Yes they can be in the carpets and they will need vacuuming, although I suspect you have done that.

I am sorry, but there are no further recommendations, excepting if you missed anything such as this:
To clear the infection, the anal area should be washed frequently with warm, soapy water to remove and kill the eggs. Underwear should be changed at least twice a day and washed in hot, soapy water. Fingernails need to be cut close and kept clean. Areas that have a lot of hand contact around the house can be cleaned frequently with soapy water where possible or cleaned with a vacuum cleaner. The toilet seat can be cleaned often as well. Eggs from fingers, fingernails, clothes, bedding, toys and even the air (after shaking bedding and clothing) can re-infect and start another round of Pinworm. Eggs can usually survive up to three weeks, but are killed by sunlight and ultraviolet light.

Additionally information from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworm

Yes, I am frustrated and depressed, and feel like a leper

I have done all this and more...

I last took the meds on wed, and Im still itchy...so I dont think its gone I feel like this is it forever...does anything kill the eggs?

alcohol. bleach? anything I can spray?

The sunlight and ultraviolet light. I think cleaning surfaces with alcohol and bleech will help. I don't know of any thing you can spray, although you could spray alcohol and bleech, but of course not on all of your furniture.

I might try spraying the alcohol on my furniture....I dont think that will hurt it....

do u think a bug bomb would help?

May be look at the recommended medications and make sure these are the ones your doctor has given you.

All the web sites, and every since my nursing career, I've never heard that a bug bomb will help. So truthfully, I don't know for sure, but it seems if it did this would be mentioned somewhere.

I think spraying the alcohol is a good idea, I'm sure that will kill them if touched by the alcohol.
Ok...thank u....Im going ot do that...
does it help to put furniture out in the cold weather?
Probably the eggs can survive the cold. Although the sunlight is supposed to kill them. It seems like alcohol and vacuuming should get them.
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
OK thanks
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)