How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35457
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have blood clots when I poop. Sometimes I just feel pain

Resolved Question:

I have blood clots when I poop. Sometimes I just feel pain and have blood clots and nothing more. I have bright red blood as well as darker, purplish clots. My abdominen hurts after I go. I am a 32 year old woman. I have seen two doctors, but neither has examined me physically. One changed a medication he said causes constipation and the other told me to use Miralax every morning. It is better when I used the Miralax. Some days I skip it because I don't feel constipated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.


A prolonged bleeding from rectum needs investigations and a physical examination by either a gastroenterologist or a surgeon. The common causes can be;

1) Hemorrhoids or piles

2) Anal fissure

3) Polyp rectum

4) Diverticulitis

5) Inflammatory bowel disease like crohn's disease

6) Growth in rectum or colon

Investigations needed to establish the cause are;

1) Proctoscopy

2) Colonoscopy

3) Barium enema

Read this resource;

Pain and bleeding may be indicative of anal fissure or inflamed piles. Still investigations are needed for establishing the cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does that mean that I should set up an appointment with a gastroenterologist rather than seeing my primary physician a third time? I have no insurance and my money is limited.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.


Ideally you should seek an appointment with a gastroenterologist. So a certain diagnosis can be made. Gastroenterologist would do proctoscopy on the appointment, as it is a office procedure and hemorrhoids, anal fissure and rectal polyp can be diagnosed.

hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you