How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ryan Your Own Question
Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 244
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Ryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a my 7th back operation 3 months ago and have now been

This answer was rated:

I had a my 7th back operation 3 months ago and have now been diagnosed with "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome". They worked on a massively swollen nerve root and the pain in my foot began straight away (after op). I was first prescribed Neurontin, which didn't work and am now on Lyrica and Trepeline, but the condition is unbearable. What suggestions would you have? What type of doctor should I go and see to help me with treatment of this condition and what other meds/treatments do you know of? PLEASE, I am desperate! Before the last op, I was very active and running/walking 9 kilometres, 5 days a week. Now I am constantly in pain, on crutches (pain in my left foot) and feel very angry at the doctors. Any suggestions would be more than helpful. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. Is there any doctors I can see close to where I live? Many thanks, ***** (age female, 36 years).

Hello, and I'm sorry to hear about your issues, back problems can become very complicated very fast.

Unfortunately after that many back surgeries you are most likely going to deal with some degree of pain for the rest of your life. My main suggestion with such an extensive history, would be to find a physician in your area that specializes in "physical medicine and rehabilitation". These are physicians who are trained to deal with chronic pain issues and complicated courses such as yours. They specialize in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal and neurological disorders.

As far as medication, it seems like you are on the right track, but you may require some degree of pain medication for awhile so you can get through the pain on your way to recovery. I would also suggest pursuing physical therapy at a reputable location near you. They will hopefully be able to help strengthen your abs/core/ and back muscles to help support yourself better and take the strain off of the discs and hence the nerves.

I'm sorry I can't give you a cure-all, but as I'm sure you know you're in a bit of a difficult situation that will require some long-term following and rehabilitation. So start by finding a PM&R doctor that you work well with and best of luck getting back to enjoying your beautiful country. Let me know if I can expand on anything or can help you further...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the accept button

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship

Dr. Ryan and 6 other Health Specialists are ready to help you