Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I had been having heartburn and my Dr. prescribed me 2

Customer Question

I had been having heartburn and my Dr. prescribed me 2 heartburn meds. They worked for a little while. My husband suggested peppermint and it has done the trick. I also gave up fish oil and carbonated drinks. Is peppermint ok to be using?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Yes, it is true that peppermint is widely recognized herb for heartburn.

yes, you should keep on using this medication.

Avoid chocolate, peppermint, fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages.If you are overweight,loose some weight. Start practicing Yoga and meditation. Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals

Also you should remain away from stress. Practice Yoga and meditation to relax yourself.

If this has been helpful, please click the green "Accept" button below. Bonus given for helpful answers are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think he answered my question. Why would I go back on a med that bothers me when the peppermint works. And in the next sentence he tells me to avoid peppermint.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 8 years ago.

There was some error related to spellcheck, so message was not perceived rightly.

Yes, you are safe to use peppermint.

You can easily , use peppermint, it will not harm you.

Take Care

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't find this helpful. I told him peppermint help, yes he has heard of this but in the next sentence he says avoid eating peppermint. How is this helpful?