Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I'm at the end of my rope. My 17 year old daughter has spent

I'm at the end of my rope. My 17 year old daughter has spent the last year with pain in her upper right side. She has had cats scans, ultra sounds, a hidi scan, numerous urine and blood tests and a bone scan. A renal ultrasound showed a possible blockage. A bone scan showed the same thing. But the last ct showed everything to be normal. She has burning and pain with urination which hurts all the way up her side and is worse afterwards.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 years ago.
She may be having Urethral Syndrome.

This is a condition which presents with the features of pain due to a urinary tract infection but with sterile urine. The exact cause is not known, but inflammation of the female prostate, hormonal imbalance, etc. are believed to be the cause.

Treatment is with a prolonged course of antibiotics, oral contraceptive pills, muscle relaxants, tricyclic antidepressants, behavioural therapy, etc.

You should consult a urologist for this and discuss about Urethral Syndrome.

You can look up here for more info:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/451683-overview

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would this cause pain upon urination in her right side just below the rib cage? This area is extremely painful when pressed upon by the doctor. Tapping on her back causes pain also. All urine tests have come back negative for infection so far. We are waiting for the results of a 24 hour urine collection done to check for gravel. When she was treated for a sinus infection and took antibiotics she felt better. She has trouble sleeping at night because she can't get comfortable because pressure against her side and back cause pain.
Urethral syndrome can present with pain in the abdomen. This pain could be part of urethral syndrome.

It could also be Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia typically presents with diffuse muscle pain all over the body. However, one uncommon presentation is a deep cramping pain in the abdomen. This can be at any particular site. You need to approach a doctor who is skilled in fibromyalgia to get this diagnosed.

Some other causes of such abdominal pain which are possible for you are:

Thoracic disc herniation.

Chronic pancreatitis.

Porphyria.

Addison's disease.

Spinal muscle or Vertebral body disorder.

Psychological disorders like depression and anxiety.

You need to approach your doctor and ask for these conditions to be ruled out.

You can look up here:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/pain/disorders/070.html
http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/09_99/debanto.htm

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.