How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vivek Pillai Your Own Question
Vivek Pillai
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 150
Experience:  M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).
Type Your Health Question Here...
Vivek Pillai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had internal shingles for three months now is there

This answer was rated:

I have had internal shingles for three months now is there any relief or medication to irradicate this horrible affliction. Is there a blood test that could diagnose this for sure. I have stabbing pain in my left breast with burning skin and it radiates to my underarm.'am i presume you have post-herpetic neuralgia, which is quite painful!.. my suggestions are

1. gabapentin- 200 mg 1-1-1 orally.

2.lidocaine patches over the painful areas.

3. t. tryptomer 25mg1-1-1.

if you can restrict yourselves to either gabapentin or tryptomer it would be apt, i would not advice you to take both of them... also please make sure you do not have glaucoma, urinary retention when you take tryptomer.

if you are satisfied with my reply, kindly press the ACCEPT button, so that i may receive the payment due to me.. feel free to ask any queries.

Vivek Pillai and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. thank you so much for your answer but you didnt answer me regarding the lab work. Is there actually a test that would confirm the shingles? I just have the breast surgeon saying that I probably have shingles.

hi, ma'am... thanks for the accept and feedbackSmile... sorryy for the late reply.. actually it is late night in india where is stay... here's what you can do..

1. shingles/ herpes zoster is best diagnosed by the culture of varicella zoster virus from skin lesions.

2. you can also check polymerase chain reaction for varicella zoster virus..

3. ELISA test to detect you host response to shingles..

however a documented case report of herpes zoster in the past should suffice... all the best