Vivek Pillai
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).
15063316

My mom was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in April,

Customer Question

My mom was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in April, 2008. She went through 6 months of chemotherapy treatment and 44 treatments of radiation to the chest area and 10 low dose treatments (preventative) to the brain. She ended up getting pneumonia after Christmas and regular antibiotics didn't seem to help at all. We ended up having her admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics for her pneumonia. A few days before we took her to the hospital she was having trouble figuring out how to turn on the tv. When we took her to the emergency room for the pneumonia I had told them that she may have had a stroke because she was acting the same way she had before when she had a stroke in 2004. Anyway when she went into the hospital she could read her menu and order her food. 2 days later she was unable to order her own food. They did a MRI and said she has white brain matter disease. She has progressively gotten worse. Neurologist says he can't do anything. Where do we go now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vivek Pillai replied 8 years ago.

hi....i am afraid all that can be done is palliaton of the disease.. my advise for the white matter brain disease which i suspect to be brain metastases is high dose radiotherapy to to the whole brain...also during this peroid the surgeon should be consulted regarding a nasogastric tube for feeding/ or a gastrostomy feeding.....as the deficits are likely to progress she may need catheterisation to prevent problems with micturition....

if you are satsified with my answer, kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i may receive the payment due to me..... feel free to ask any queries.