How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a painful growth between my scrotum and inner thigh.

Resolved Question:

I have a painful growth between my scrotum and inner thigh. What type of doctor should I see about treatment and/or removal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Is this in the fold between your groin and the thigh?

Or is it actually on the thigh?

Has a doctor examined this growth? Is it below the skin, or involve the skin as well? How large is it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it is the foldbeween the thigh and groin. It has not been examined by a doctor. It is above the skin. Until a few days ago, it was about 1 mm in diameter and height. About the size of a small mole. It is now about 4 mm tall and 1 to 2 mm across.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Is this red, tender, warm?

Does it appear to have fluid within it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's has become tender in the last couple days. Does not appear to have fluid in it. It actually feels hard.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Well, given the relatively small size of it, though it has grown recently, it really needs to be seen by your regular doctor first -- since without knowing what it could be, it is tough to say how to treat it.

One of the things that comes to mind, however, is a small abscess in the area, which could be caused by an ingrown hair, for example. These could be small, tender, and grow as you describe.

It is tough to say a tumor, or cancer, or anything else would grow so quickly over a few days, though again, it is impossible to say without having it examined.

So I would suggest having your regular doctor see it first, to see if this could possibly be a small infected area - then antibiotics, or small incision and drainage, or watchful waiting, or referral to a general surgeon can be recommended appropriately.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is not an ingrown hair or abscess(or pimple). I have had both in the past. And the height would rule both of those out. Little more help, please?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Well, it is difficult to imagine what this could be without actually seeing it.

It could still be an infection (unrelated to an ingrown hair), or perhaps a sebaceous cyst.

Other possibilities can be dermoid cysts, lipomas, milia.

But regardless, having your doctor examine this in person is your best bet.
Dr. Mark and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you