RoseMD
RoseMD, Doctor
Experience:  recent medical school grad + Masters in Health Service Admin.
15093700

I have a pain on my knee. I cant squat because its so painful.

Customer Question

I have a pain on my knee. I cant squat because its so painful. I went to doctors twice and had some xrays taken and they said nothing is wrong. Please tell me, I'm in pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  RoseMD replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer I would like to see if I can assist you but would like some information: In the last 5 yrs, have you ever injured your knee/played any major sports or dancing classes (ballet, etc)? What is the range of motion for your knee, are you able to still flex or "stretch out"/extend your need or does it hurt too much to move it/walk on it? any "popping" sounds moving your knee? is the swelling just in your knee or down your leg/pain/skin color changes anywhere else on your leg? any additional symptoms such as fever/nausea/heart problems/circulation problems/breathing problems? does anything make the swelling go down/pain better or worse (such as motrin, etc)? Any birth control pills/smoking? Thank you for your question and I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
During the past 5 years I havent injured my knee at all. I just do regular walking and exercising here and there (not vigorously). I do feel the pain sometimes when I walk. When I'm running I dont feel the pain, but as soon as I stop, the pain comes back. I dont do sporting or dancing, etc, except for exercising now and then. If I stretch it I feel the pain. No popping sounds at all. Its just swollen around the knee itself, not down the leg. The color doesnt change. I have no fever/nausea/heart problems or breathing problems at all. I have tried motrin, advil, tylenol, etc (all the over the counter medicine), nothing have worked. I do not take any birth control pills and I do not smoke. I drink wines once in a while. (maybe a glass per month or so).
Expert:  RoseMD replied 8 years ago.
Have you ever had a bone scan for your knee?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I dont think I did. What is a bone scan?

Expert:  RoseMD replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your information There are a few reasons for swelling around your knee. Fluid can fill inside the capsule over the knee or outside of that, and it can be blood or non-blood fluid. Since you haven't suffered direct injury to the knee and it seems you've had this for a while, it is not likely you have problems such as ligament (ACL/PCL) or meniscus tears/injuries (as seen in football/soccer). You could have arthritic knees where the fluid will build up over time, particularly with increased activity. There is a possibility for the bones around your knee to have stress fractures from overuse or infection/osteomyelitis. You could also have some sort of bursitis (inflammation) of the capsule (prepatellar bursitis) or tendonitis/ligament strain. There is also a chance of gout/pseudogout.

Therefore, xrays may not pick up the above situation the way MRIs and Nuclear Bone Scans of your knees can. Bone scans are particularly good in osteomyelitis and stress fracture since those are not seen in regular xrays. Inquire with your physician or a orthopedic physician /rheumatologist about investigating your knee swelling further and see if these additional scans can be of benefit to you. If you have the funds, you may want to try a supplement called Wobenzyme N, which are enzymes that are not meant for digestion but for inflammation in areas of injury (hence, taken on empty stomach), which can be found at health food stores or Whole Foods or even online stores. It does not claim to cure/treat conditions but it may benefit you (and I have found it of benefit for myself in the past). Check with your doctor if you are on any other meds so that you can try that supplement without issues.

I hope you found this information helpful and I thank you for your post. Feel free to ask for additional help. ~RoseMD

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee/f/kneeswelling.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I will try to follow what you said.
Expert:  RoseMD replied 8 years ago.

Your Welcome, Good luck :)