How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Saurabh Joshi Your Own Question
Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4665
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.Saurabh Joshi is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to get a Hernia in the rib cage area

Resolved Question:

Is it possible to get a Hernia in the rib cage area?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.

What are you symptoms ?

Do you have a swelling / bulge in your chest area ?

Have you had any tests ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have just a small swelling in my upper rib area. REAL pain when I cough or sneeze. It has been over a week. I haven't went to see a Doc yet.
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.
DO you have a fever / cough / bring up phlegm ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No fever, or excess cough. No phlegm. Just pain when I cough, other wise I'm fine.
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

A severe cough can possibly cause the lung to herniate through the chest wall as a bulge, this occurs if there is any history of previous chest wall injury or weakness in the chest wall.

You can have this if there is a visible bulge and have severe pain while breathing and have a shortness of breath.

Other possibility that is more likely and common is a spasm of the intercostal muscles, that is a spasm of the muscles between your ribs that causes severe spasmodic pain.

Please see your doctor for an evaluation of your chest wall and your breath sounds to look for a lung infection.

Please find more information here :

Kindest Regards,

Dr.Saurabh Joshi and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you