TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

can herpes type 2 cause prostrate problems, infections, enlargement,

can herpes type 2 cause prostrate problems, infections, enlargement, sever pain, I recently (15 weeks ago)contacted herpes from my ex wife, and since then have been having some major uti's and infections and inlargment with great pain? please help
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 8 years ago.

Hello Customer-

Herpes virus is not at all a common cause of prostate infections. There are very few and rare reports of herpes in the prostate, but your symptoms are not suggestive of a herpes infection.

I would be more suspicious of other causes of prostatitis and prostate enlargement- either common enteric bacteria, or gonorrhea/ chlamydia. You should have appropriate testing by your doctor and be treated with appropriate antibiotics. I suspect the herpes is a separate issue.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what are the signs of chlamydia in men? could she have transmitted this to me with out knowing she had it? or could she have chlamydia and not herpes/ or both,

I'm so very confused, I am also a diabetic could that have anything to do with this problem

I did not see your last few lines when I posted my answer.

Amoxicillin is not a great choice of antibiotics for prostatitis - it does not get into the prostate very well, and most of the bacteria that cause prostatitis are resistant to amoxicillin. I would hope that a culture was done before this antibiotic was chosen.

In men chlamydia can cause a "urethritis" with pain with urination and sometimes burning and discharge, or it can cause epididimitis ( pain and swelling of the epididimis which is next to the testicle) or prostatitis- enlargement and pain of the prostate with pain urinating.

Chlamydia is not uncommonly asymptomatic in women- they may have it and pass it to others without knowing. In these cases it is only detected by doing a culture or PCR test to detect it. As for if she could have had both.. the general rule is if someone has had 1 STD they certainly could have had more than one.

Your questioning makes me wonder if the herpes diagnosis was confirmed- I would suggest you have a doctor- either a urologist or an infectious diseases specialist properly assess you, and make a proper diagnosis of your problem, with appropriate cultures and antibiotics.

Good luck.