Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

It always feel like something is stuck in my throat what

could it be?...
It always feel like something is stuck in my throat what could it be?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2009
RoseMD
RoseMD, Doctor

HelloCustomer I would like more information please. When you say you feel something "stuck", do you have a feeling of a "lump" in your throat, or a feeling of mucus/phlegm in your throat? Were you sick with a cold or flu or sore throat/throat pain? Is this a recent problem or have you had this feeling in your throat for several weeks/months? How is your swallowing, do you have any problems swallowing, liquids or solids, or both, or no problems? Any hoarseness to your voice, or any voice changes associated with this? Any breathing problems, stuffy nose, coughing, any coughing up mucus/blood, shortness of breath or problems breathing while sleeping? Any weight loss or heartburn? I hope these questions don't seem overwhelming. I would just like to get a better idea of your situation before attempting to answer. Thank you for posting your question and I look forward to your reply :)

it came after a cold about 2months ago. And some days it their and some days not. Alot of coghing usually clear it up but couple days later come back. No problem swollen feels like mucus but have tried robitusian mc max. No hoareness,very little mucus when cough sometime and I mean sometime. Dont forget I have hypothroid so could that be the problem?

Thanks for your reply....ok, this was after a cold 2 months ago, scant mucus, but robitusian doesn't help...so, more like a "dry" cough, would you say? is this the first time you've had this type of coughing? any history with asthma?

as far as your hypothyroidism, unless you have a goiter (overgrowth of thyroid gland protuding from your neck) that is growing in a way to partially obstruct your airway or irritating the nerve that handles your vocal cords (hence voice changes or hoarseness), shouldn't really be related to your coughing spells. do you have a goiter?

No history of asthma yes dry cough but I only make myself cough to try to clear my throat.No goiter.

HiCustomer

Thank you again for the information you supplied. There are a few possibilities for your throat problems. Considering that you had these symptoms after a cold 2 months ago, you could have a Postnasal Drip, where the fluid buildup from inside your nose trickles down into your throat and you feel like you have to cough to clear it. In this case, your doctor would give you something to reduce the nasal drainage ("dry up"), such as an antihistamine nasal spray or steriod spray to reduce the inflammation in your nose.

Another possibility for your constant feeling of something "stuck" in your throat may be due to a form of stomach acid reflux, known as G.E.R.D. (gastro-esophogeal reflux disease), where you may have some heartburn/sour taste associated with the "sticking throat" feeling, and you feel as if you have to clear your throat. If the sphincter at the end of your esophagus near your stomach is a bit weak, it will not close as "tight" and some of the stomach acid can flow back up into your esophagus and irritate it. Your doctor could do some tests to check your stomach acid level and can try some anti-acids to reduce/block the acid pumps.

The other possibility is that there is a form of asthma that manifests itself as a cough without any other notable symptoms. Your doctor could test you for that and see if any broncodilators (asthma pumps) would relieve your symptoms, however I think this is the least of the three to explain your symptoms.

Many times, a combination of the situations I listed above could be causing the symptoms and trial of more than one of the remedies will provide ultimate relief. In other words, you could be suffering from acid reflux and postnasal drip at the same time, and you would need to have treatments for both for total relief of symptoms.

I would suggest you have another visit with your doctor and see what they think about exploring those possibilities. I will list below my source for the information above and some links to review on your own. I hope I was able to give you some ideas to explain your symptoms and hope you will be on your way to finding relief. Thank you for listing your question again :

~RoseMD

Article: Irwin RS, Madison JM. The persistently troublesome cough. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;165:1469-74. PMID: 12045118[PubMed]

Websites:

http://www.medicinenet.com/chronic_rhinitis/article.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_gerd/article.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/asthma/article.htm

RoseMD
RoseMD, Doctor
RoseMD
RoseMD
RoseMD, Doctor