Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

My liver is bad because of drink, what can i do restore it

my liver is bad because of drink, what can i do restore it
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I would need more details here. When you say your liver is bad how bad is it, have you had liver function tests, a liver biopsy, symptoms of late liver damage, or no symptoms at all. How much have you had to drink over the years and for how long?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have been drinking for the past 40 years and did have my liver tested. I was told all of my liver is good except the part that digests the alchool. I thought that if i started to eat more foods that were good for the liver i could help restore it. I used to eat a lot, but lost my appetit and do not want have cirrohis, people tell me drinking lemon juice will clean out my liver, please advice, am in good health otherwise. thanks so much

Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
hello again,

if you do not have significant fibrosis and and cirrhosis your liver can return to normal if you avoid alcohol entirely. You may have fat in the liver from the alcohol but often it is reversible when you stop drinking. If your liver function tests are normal then that would tend to indicate that your liver is not severely diseased.
As far as diet is concerned the normal healthy balanced diet avoiding alcohol would be the best thing to bring your liver back to normal. I do not know of any natural type product or herb or lemon juice that will help. There are many claims for materials that help the liver. For example Milk Thistle has been thought to be effective however there is no good scientific evidence that it is. So my best advice is to stop drinking entirely and eat a normal diet

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MY LIVER IS ENLARGED THE RIGHT LOBE MEASUING 18 CM IN CEPHALOCAUDAL DIMENSION
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
It may be enlarged because of fat infiltration which can be reversed. If it is enlarged because of cirrhosis then that cannot be reversed but if you stop alcohol it may be stopped from progressing. The best way to tell why it is large would be with a liver biopsy but that is a somewhat uncomfortable procedure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I DO NOT FEEL YOU ANSWERED MY QUESTION. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO IN TERMS OF FOOD AND GETTING MY LIVER BACK IN SHAPE....I KNOW ABOUT NOT DRINLKING AND I TOLD YOU I DO NOT HAVE CIRRIOS, SO PLEASE TELL WHAT I CN DO IN ERMS OF DIET1 TGHANKS,K

Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
I did answer your question regarding diet. There is no special diet that you need to be on other than a normal balanced diet if you do not have advanced liver disease. And there is no proof that any supplements or certain types of food will help your liver whether you have cirrhosis or whether it is normal.