How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35004
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a single bump under my scrotum area, near the

This answer was rated:

I have a single bump under my scrotum area, near the left/center side. It isn't on my testicles but the scrotal patch of skin several inches above the asshole. It is barely noticeable visually except for slight redness but I can feel it whenever I run my hands there. I first thought it was zit or something.

It wont pop and has been there for at least 2 weeks now. What could it be? It is a single bump that doesn't hurt or itch or anything.


This is very likely to be sebaceous cyst. It is common on this area and areas which have hair on body. When this gets mildly inflamed, this would look red. Initial antibiotics with a surgical excision is the treatment of choice.

Read about it;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is surgery the only option or are there alternative [home] remedies to help treat it, such as a hot compress, etc?

Also, if it is a cyst, will it go away over time or only become worse? I'd prefer not having to go to a doctors to find out this is something that would go away with time.


The sebaceous cysts usually can remain dormant for long time with no problem and can be watched. A physician visit is warranted if it get infected, increase in size, inflamed, red, hot and angry or painful. They won't go on their own and surgical treatment is the only option. Warm compresses are not advised as they can aggravate the inflammation.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions