How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been taking 60mg daily of Cymbalta for over 2 years.

Resolved Question:

I have been taking 60mg daily of Cymbalta for over 2 years. I have been out of my medication for 3 days, dosage was reduced to 30mg for 4 days prior. I am now experiencing lightheadedness and vertigo. I believe this is a result of not taking the Cymbalta. I can not get any feed back from my doctor. Is there a supplement that I can take to make this stop? Can no longer afford to buy this prescription, please help! Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately you are experiencing withdrawal from the medication, this withdrawal phase can last around seven days with diarrhea, anxiety as well as your other symptoms. A medical doctor might be able to give you short term medication to help you feel more comfortable but there are no vitamins or supplements that will directly stop your symptoms.

Natural products like Valerian might help with insomnia, and ginger may help with nausea but aside from this, there is no direct alternative to Cymbalta.

Your original prescribing doctor may have access to samples or agree payment plan with the drug company for lower cost. Alternatively you can discuss an alternative which is available in generic form that is more affordable depending on your original diagnosis.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your response. My doctor has been giving me samples because I have no insurance and other wise could not take this medicine. The problem being that he has been out of samples and I have been told that there is no generic form of Cymbalta. The last I checked the internet, I found that the drug company does not offer reduced payment. I have not noticed any other symptoms than dizziness and vertigo from not taking the Cymbalta. Since my dosage was reduced for several days then not taking at all, would it be safe to change to another med, ie. wellbutrin or prozac, that I know that I can afford. I have taken both of these meds before but changed to the Cymbalta because of chronic back pain.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.
Changing to an alternative like prozac (fluoxetine) would be a good option, it will take a couple of weeks to get back to a stable mood so take each day as it comes till then.
Pauline and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help.

Happy New Year to you and yours.