How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Harrison Your Own Question
Doctor Harrison
Doctor Harrison, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 301
Experience:  Board Certified Internal Medicine, Former Chief Resident, Yale New Haven Health
Type Your Health Question Here...
Doctor Harrison is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to ask a question or two for my husband-- He is

This answer was rated:

Hello- I want to ask a question or two for my husband-- He is having cramps in a different place than he usually has them--- he is 71- and very often gets cramps in his hands and legs- today he got a real strong cramp in his neck??? I tried symptom checker and it listed a number of things it could be- I am trying to rule out anything to do with his heart- he works around chemicals in a powder coating plant-- I've worried because he won't wear a mask around spraying powder(paint) etc.. Can you please tell me if the neck pain he has had today could be related to his heart or his thyroid- he does take thyroid meds and has for years-- Thanks very much--Sincerely, *****


In my experience, neck cramps are not usually a symptom of something more serious. They are usually short lasting and will resolve on their own. Any trouble coming from his heart should be more of a pain than a cramp, and is usually associated with shortness of breath, chest pain, arm pain or jaw pain. His thyroid is also unlikely to give him a neck cramp.

It is possible that his cramps are being caused by an electrolyte imbalance from medication. You should have his doctor check his bloodwork.

Although he works with some chemical, I strongly doubt this is the cause of his neck cramps.

In the meantime, I would have him put a warm compress (heating pad ) on the neck and try some gentle stretching. If it continues or gets worse, please bring him to a doctor to get checked out.

Thanks for being a concerned wife - he is a lucky man!

Please click ACCEPT if this information was helpful.

Doctor Harrison and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you