How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the blood sugar reading is 490 and the person is a

Resolved Question:

If the blood sugar reading is 490 and the person is a diabetic, what should he do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
At the very least, I would suggest calling the person's doctor. If you are not able to contact their doctor, then a visit to the ER is definitely indicated.

Blood sugars in this range are dangerous and should be treated urgently. Only with a complete history would it be ethical for someone to recommend specific dosing suggestions - something that none of the providers on this site could do without examining the person.
Family Physician and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you