Dr AW
Dr AW, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with hospital experience as SHO in a wide variety of fields
12248854

I have a nagging pain under my right ribs, and if i press in

Customer Question

I have a nagging pain under my right ribs, and if i press in a certain area it's very painfull
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

How long have you had this pain for?

Is it constant or comes and goes?

Does anything bring it on - eg after eating?

Any other symptoms - nausea and vomitting, jaundice, abnormal bowel motions?

Any recent chest infection or straining activity?

Does the pain come on by taking a deep breath in and out?

Any other medical problems or medications you are on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had the pain a few weeks.
Its a constant pain
I do vomit,and feel nauseous
No chest infection or strainng activity
No the pain doesnt come and go when taking a deep breathe
I am on Mitazipine (antidepressants i have been for 2 yrs)
I am 40 and female
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had the pain a few weeks. Its a constant pain I do vomit,and feel nauseous No chest infection or strainng activity No the pain doesnt come and go when taking a deep breathe I am on Mitazipine (antidepressants i have been for 2 yrs) I am 40 and female
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for further information

Can you describe the pain in a bit more detail - exact site, its nature - ie does it feel like a stabbing, burning, weight, gripping. You mention it is constant, does this stop you from sleeping? Does this pain worsen after eating or no change, what pain killers do you take and do these help at all? Does this pain ever move elsewhere?

How often are you vomitting, have you lost any weight.

How are your bowel motions and urinary function?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The pain is always there, it is at the top of my ribcage on the right and it is like a weight pain, but if i press it is a very sharp pain.Yes i suppose it does get worse after eating. If i press it , it does move.I take paracetamol now and again, it mor of an annoying pain then a bad pain unless i press it. IT DOESNT STOP ME FROM SLEEPING AT all. I have lost half a stone, but i also had a sickness bug. My bowel motions are fine.
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Do you feel this pain is more over the lower border of the ribcage on the right? Can it be brought on by pushing on the ribcage? Or just to clarify is this definitely just underneath the level of the ribcage? Or do you feel it is a mixture of the two. Sorry for need for further information just want to clarify the nature as clear as possible of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its at the top of the ribcage.I would say on a level with the ribcage, but if i press it it moves slightly.
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Please clarify - is this pain at the lower level of your ribcage on the right side of your ribcage? Your initial post states under right ribs? However your last post states at the top of the ribcage? The top of your ribcage would actually be under your collar bone? Is this what you mean?

Obviously the location of origin of pain is quite important to determining the possible causes. Please be as descriptive as you can of the exact location.

Is there any tenderness or pain in your abdomen in the right upper quadrant?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The pain is on the right side it feel like its at the top to me, it is on a level with my bust. There is no pain in my stomach region at all. I hope this helps you.
Expert:  Dr AW replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for further information.

At first I thought you were describing pain underneath the lower border of the ribcage and with nausea and vomitting and occurrence after eating considered that the origin may be gallbladder/gallstone related. However this pain you are describing is too high up and is really at chest level. The presence being constant and worse on pushing on it suggests to be rather of musculoskeletal origin rather than lung or heart. In this case one would suggest simple analgesia just for this.The other possibilities which are less likely are a referred pain from the pleura or breast.

However this doesn't explain your vomitting and weight loss (although the latter may be attributable to a recent stomach bug and a combination of vomitting) Unfortunately these symptoms altogether the description of your pain, vomitting and weight loss do not marry up neatly to a likely definitive cause. I definitely think that you need to see your doctor to be examined chest, abdo and breast and basic blood screen in view of ongoing vomitting and weight loss.It may be that your vomitting is explained by gastric irritation or reflux, but I think at this point it would be wise for you to proceed with a physical exam to rule out other pathologies.

I hope this information is useful, feel free to reply for any clarification.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thankyou. I was quite worried, but you have put my mind at rest.