DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

Treatment / diet for calcium deposit on knee

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Have you done X-rays? Any other test?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
XRAY WAS DONE
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any knee pain?

Can you tell me the report of radiograph in detail?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes knee pain and difficulty walking. I do not have my radiograph report with me.

I am outside the country now. I felt I was feeling better and was able to walk reasonably well, but 2 days after arriving in australia, I am having pain and difficult walking.

could be something wrong in my diet ? anything I should avoid ? or should I be exercising my leg? not climbing stairs ?

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using just answer and your patience,

These calcium deposits occur mostly as part of degenerative disease/ wear and tear of joint.These deposits are not dependent or associated with diet.You need to get you blood calcium level checked.Certain metabolic disease which lead to increase calcium in body as also associated but these are mostly due to degenerative changes.The arthroscopic removal of these calcium deposit if producing symptoms is a effective and common procedure .Diet changes can not cause any change in status if there is no underlying metabolic disease.Physiotherapy along with knee support will help to improve symptoms.Pain killer like Ibuprofen can also give relief.

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If blood calcium level is checked , it could reveal if there is an underlying metabolic disease ? and if so, is this treatable or curable and will it or will not occur again ?
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
If there is increase in blood calcium then further investigation will be required to find the exact cause of this.

If there is some underlying cause of increase calcium , treatment is possible.

Thanks