Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

I have tongue with large red bumps on the back of my tongue

I have white tongue with large red bumps on the back of my tongue and throat. The white is thicker around the red bumps. Also my nasal passage is swollen. Could you please tell me what this could be?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No trouble swallowing. My sense of smell isn't as good. Ived tried to brush it and it does help for a day or so. I am unable to completely get rid of the white on the back.
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
What is going on is that your saliva is getting dried on the back of your tongue. It gets very difficult to get rid of. The point is to get the saliva flowing so it does not get stuck in those large red bumps (swollen tongue papilla). You can use a product called Biotine, this should help. No alcohol based product, such as Listerine. Try to chew sugarless gum. Increase your fluid intake.
This entire process is most likely from a cold or sinus infection.
You can take an dayquil to relieve your symptoms.

Please make an appointment with your physician or dentist to properly diagnose you.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your care.

If I've answered your question, kindly press 'ACCEPT' so that I may be paid for my work and advice. This does NOT cost you extra!

Follow-up questions are always welcomed!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have 1 small bump that I can see behind my tongue on my throat. Is this part of it? Also, why is it causing my tongue to turn white?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
Please see above. It is your saliva.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much. I have one other question regarding payment. Would it be possible to accept your answer for payment tomorrow?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
It was my pleasure.
it is absolutely fine to accept the answer tomorrow.