Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Can you have a cold in your eye and what are the symtoms

Customer Question
can you have a cold in your eye and what are the symtoms
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
12/21/2008
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. It think it's just a matter of terminology. A "cold" is a viral upper respiratory infection. Your body's immune system fights the virus and in the process produces lots of mucus, and pus which you blow from your nose and cough up. There can be viral infections of the eye; we call it viral conjunctivitis. The eye is usually red and swollen and watery. What you are probably experiencing is your eye's normal function of cleaning itself. At night the tears puddle in the corners of the eyes and can become crusty. Any upper respiratory infection or eye irritation or allergy will also cause an increase in tears with additional puddling and crustiness.

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
the white gunk in the corner is not crusty its like mushy but i dont have any other cold symptoms like a runny nose or cough but at the begining of the week i had a dry or sore throat that went away. can i now have a little viral infection in the eye? can you have a slight blood shot eye from a viral infection and should i put a warm compress on it. i have no fever or anything else thanks

Yes, this can be the result of a slight viral infection, or of an allergy. Either will produce bloodshot eyes. Warm compresses are fine as often as you would like to use them. Viral infections usually require no medical treatment and get well on their own in just a few days. If the eye feels "scratchy" or irritated, artificial tears from the drugstore will also help.

A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner