Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a bump on my that drains pus. What is it,what causes

i have a bump on my butt that drains pus. What is it,what causes this and could it be related to my lymph nodes.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

Since how long is it draining pus? Was a swab / culture done? Where is the exact location on the butt? Are you diabetic? Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not a diabetic. It is located on my right check on the outside, bottom posterior
No culture has been done. It has been draining off and on for a year. No meds at this time

This is unlikely to be related to the lymph nodes. With its location there is a possibility of it being the anorectal fistula. For the diagnosis, a fistulogram would be essential to see the communication with the anal canal or rectum (called as high rectal fistula). If the fistulogram shows the communication whole tract needs to be excised. That only would prevent recurrence. Another possibility is a sinus. That too would entail surgical excision of the tract. A tubercular infection is another possibility which causes recurrence unless specific medications are given for the treatment. A culture of the pus/swab is an essential component of the management.

Read about the anorectal fistula;

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch130/ch130e.html

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I will take this informtion with me when i go for my annual exam.
What is a CA-125

Hello Lisa,

You are welcome.

CA-125 is a blood test for ovarian cancer. But there are many benign conditions also which can cause its elevation. Please read this resource;

http://www.medicinenet.com/ca_125/page2.htm

Please click accept, if it has been helpful to you, as it is the only way we get credit for the time and work.

Thank you.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much.

Good Night

Good night.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun