How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a 4 inch bruise running up the lower part of my

This answer was rated:

I have had a 4 inch bruise running up the lower part of my lumber spine. If I lay in bed for too long my back starts hurting. Primarily the spine. The bruise is faint but when I bend over it becomes more apparent because the spine gets closer to the surface. It has been like this for 4 months or so. Sometimes my back feels good for a couple of days and then it hurts. I'm only 31 years old and am healthy. I excersice 3 to 4 times a week, which includes weightlifting and 30 to 35 minuet of cardio per workout. Does this sound like slipped disks?
While you may have degenerative discs (you're probably a bit young for it though), what you are describing is not anything to do with the discs.

Brusing that you see has to be within the skin or the superficial muscle, as the actual spine is very deep, and "slipped" discs would not be visible (only on a MRI scan can you see your discs).

It is a bit unusual to have a "bruise" present for 4 months, so it may be beneficial to have a doctor examine the area to see if it is indeed something (like a fat collection, lipoma - or something else).

In addition a xray can rule out any obvious "slip" in the lumbar spine.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There are 3 bruises directly on top of each disk and it moves with my spine.. I also to fail that pain is directly in that area. I will see doctor.

What you are feeling are the spinous processes, or the bones that point outward from the spine. These are on the opposite side of the discs in the spine.

But as you are having pain, it would help for your doctor to rule out the "slip" of bones, which is unusual, but can be seen in otherwise young healthy people (called "spondylolysis")
Dr. Mark and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you