drkevinmd
drkevinmd, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Practice Physician by the American Board of Family Medicine
10353487

Why, after activity, does my blood sugar level rise instead

Why, after sexual activity, does my blood sugar level rise instead of lowering it?
Thanks for your question. This is actually a very good question from a medical point of view. Excercise, as you probably know, tends to lower blood sugar levels and this would tend to imply that your sugar should fall after intercourse which is certainly a form of exercise. I think the cause in your case is probably related to the hormones that are released during sexual activity including cortisol and catecholamines which can have the effect of raising blood sugar. I don't think this phenomenon has been studied (and i'm sure diabetics would line up for a study involving having lots of sex to measure effects on blood sugar!) but theoretically it makes sense. It would also be interesting to determine blood sugar levels in men v/s women diabetics as well as blood sugar levels before and after intercourse that does not involve orgasm although i'm sure that study will never be done!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Why are cortisol and catecholamines released in some men during intercourse and not others? Your brief answer most appreciated.
I think these substances are probably released in all men during intercourse but the amounts would likely vary between individual as well as each persons glycemic response. Again this is interesting question but due to the lack of study in this area I supposed it will remain an area of speculation.
drkevinmd, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Family Practice Physician by the American Board of Family Medicine

(I deleted the answer I posted.)