Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My whole family is getting little red dot -like bites on us.

They look pimple like and...
My whole family is getting little red dot -like bites on us. They look pimple like and they're in groups of two or three but some are all alone what could this be? Not itchy...
12/15/2008
Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic

DearCustomer

Do they look like this:

I can't tell the scale of those but yes, they're the size of a pinhead
They don't seem that splotchy either.

Dear vanessap,

Thank you.

A few more questions please:

1. Do you have pets in the house? if so, which kind

2. have you or members of your family been to the woods, park, etc in the past two weeks, and if so, did you sit on or walk in deep leaves or moss?

No pets in the house. But we are a military family and live in a rental, I think the people that lived here before us had chihuahua's.

On thanksgiving day my husband and son went hunting, I did not go though.

Dear Vanessap,

Thank you for your patience. Think of this as intake at sick call.

I am trying to find something definitive.

So just a few more questions.

What were they hunting and were they successful?

Do you have squirrels or birds living in the attic of the home you occupy?

Deer, yes my brother in law shot one and they

all went together to the processor. The deer was in the bed of the truck they were all riding in. My son said he did not touch the deer but he stood close to take a picture. My husband helped to hoist the deer.

I've recently been in the attic to pull down the Christmas tree but did not see anything unusual and I don't hear anything up there. I also have a small daughter but she does not seem to be affected yet.

One final question. How many days has it been since the deer was handled, and

how many days ago when the first bites appeared.?

17 days since Thanksgiving Nov27

My husband and I noticed the dots on Monday, Dec 8

I just noticed them on my son on Thursday, Dec 11

11 days from handling the deer to noticing the bites
I just called my brother in law and he hasn't noticed anything on his body.

DeaCustomer

Thank you again for your patience.

unfortunately there is nothing definitive in the history to suggesta specific source, except that these appear to be bites of some kind. Somthing I am sure you already suspected.

since you state they do not itch, the only bites that I can come up with that would not be itch are what is referred to as a microscopic spider bite. Spiders inject anesthesia and so their bites are not painful and generally do not itch.

All the other candidate biters would cause some sort of itching.

the candidates are:

bird mites

bed bugs

chiggers

fleas

lice

microscopic spider (sometimes referred to as dust mites)

At this point I would just have to say that unless you can visualize the bitter, it will not be diagnoseable.

You are already set to visit the physician.

There are a few things you can do to helop diagnose this:

1. Get flea comb from a pet store or pharmecy. comb all the hairy parts of your body including arms and legs over something that is light colored, such as a white sheet. That will allow you to see if any nits (eggs and larva) fall off. You have to use a flea comb, not a regular comb. The Flea combs tines are closer together. Nits stick to the hairs and the comb pulls them off. Then use tape to pick any up and save them for the doctor.

2. Use a magnifying galss periodically to inspect the area around the bites to see if you can find a larvae or adult moving about.

3. use tape to stick to youir skin to see if you pick anything up; and use it on the bedding as well.

4. If youi have a dust buster hand vacuum, vacume your bed and coutch and body hairs and then dump the contents onto a light colored sheet to find any critters. Make sure you empty the dust buster very well before doing this, so taht you can m ake sure it is new debie.

Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic
Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic