1. Which term describes the surgical repair of the tube extending from the kidney to the bladder?
2. Colporrhexis is bleeding from the vagina.
3. Hormones that control the functions of other endocrine glands are secreted by the ______.
A) adrenal glands
B) pineal gland
C) pituitary gland
D) thymus gland
4. Sunburn is caused by excessive exposure to harmful _________ (UV) rays.
5. Which part of the brain is responsible for the highest level of thought?
A) brain stem
6. Chlamydia is a highly contagious yeast infection that may cause sterility in both males and females.
7. Which condition is the flow of pus from the ear?
8. Which condition is a precancerous skin lesion caused by excessive exposure to the sun?
A) actinic keratosis
9. Which condition is a crack-like sore?
10. Which hormone increases calcium levels in the blood?
11. Which autoimmune disorder is characterized by a red, scaly rash on the face and upper trunk?
B) lupus erythematosus
12. Match each statement with the correct item below.
B. sebaceous cyst
D. seborrheic dermatitis
E. seborrheic keratosis
ABCDEoverproduction of sebum
ABCDEcyst containing yellow, fatty material
ABCDElesion formed by the buildup of sebum
ABCDEbenign flesh-colored skin tumor
ABCDEskin inflammation due to overproduction of sebum13. The term _______ describes a procedure to remove waste products from the blood of patients whose kidneys no longer function.
14. Match each statement with the correct item below.
E. skin tag
ABCDE benign fatty deposit under the skin
ABCDE a skin growth that hangs by a fine stalk
ABCDEabnormally raised scar
ABCDEmushroom-like growth on mucous membrane
ABCDEa wart15. Which condition is severe itching of the external female genitalia?
B) perineurium pruritis
C) pruritus vulvae
D) vaginal candidiasis
16. Which term describes the simultaneous inward movement of both eyes toward each other to maintain single binocular vision?
17. Which condition is a closed sac or pouch containing fluid or semisolid material?
18. Polycystic kidney disease is an inherited kidney disorder in which the kidneys become enlarged because of multiple cysts.
19. Anuria means excessive urination.
20. Match each statement with the correct item below.
A. Cowper's glands
B. glans penis
ABCDEglands that produce the sperm
ABCDEalso known as the foreskin
ABCDEgland surrounding the urethra
ABCDE sensitive region located at the tip of the penis
ABCDE secrete mucus that acts as a lubricant21. Calcium levels in the blood and tissues are regulated by calcitonin working with the _________ hormone.
22. Match each statement with the correct item below.
D. urinary retention
E. urinary incontinence
ABCDEincreased excretion of urine
ABCDEinvoluntary discharge of urine
ABCDEexcessive urination during the night
ABCDEinability to control the voiding of urine
ABCDEinability to empty the bladder23. Which condition is caused by a congenital lack of thyroid secretion?
24. Which diagnostic technique is the direct visual examination of the tissues of the cervix?
B) endovaginal ultrasound
25. The disorder characterized by the repeated pulling out of one's hair is known as _________.
26. The endocrine gland located near the midline in the anterior portion of the thoracic cavity is the _____.
A) pineal gland
B) pituitary gland
C) thymus gland
D) thyroid gland
27. Which neurotransmitter is released at synaptic nerve endings?
28. GAD is characterized by
A) A person acting sick when he or she is not really sick
B) multiple cognitive defects, including memory impairment
C) panic attacks
D) persistent, intrusive, excessive worry about multiple topics
29. A lumbar puncture is sampling of CSF obtained by inserting a needle into the epidural space of the lumbar region.
30. Which cranial nerves conduct the sense of smell impulses from the nose to the brain?
31. The condition also known as underactive thyroid is _________________.
32. Which condition is inflammation of the renal pelvis and of the kidney?
B) polycystic kidney disease
33. Which hormones influence some sex-related characteristics?
34. An evaluation of a newborn infant's physical status by assigning numerical values is known as a/an _____________________ score.