How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17828
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I cough I have a stabbing pain just below the ribcage

Customer Question

when I cough I have a stabbing pain just below the ribcage on my right side, slightly toward the back. I am just getting over pnemonia and am concerned that I have a hernia.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

Is there any swelling?

Which does aggravate it?

How is cough or fever?

Any tenderness?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No swelling, the only real problem is the cough which is extremely painful. No fever, It is tender to the touch right under the ribcage.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

Is there any pain in the front or it is only in the back? Can you describe the site more exactly? Is there any problem with urine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
slightly to the back of upper right side just under the rib cage. some tenderness toward the front but the shooting pains are almost directly down from my right arm. My urine has seemed slow and quite often. I just got back from Mexico 2 days ago and have been on antibiotics and a nebulizer for 10 days. The coughing is impossible to control when I use the nebulizer.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for all the information ,

The pain may come come from a number of causes.

In view of your history of pneumonia there can be inflammation of the pleura or pleurisy.

The other possibility is the gall bladder pain.

You should have an examination by doctor to diffentiate it.

Some investiagations like X ray , sonography can be necessary.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You, ***** ***** see a doc Monday.