Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I recently changed doctors due to my doctor retiring. Today

Customer Question

I recently changed doctors due to my doctor retiring. Today the new doctor was very strange and totally unlike his normal self, but his attitude was emotionally abusive and I wish to leave him. I want to get my medical records that I gave to him from my kind and very caring previous Doctor, do I have the right to have these handed to me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 years ago.
I doubt that you have any trouble in retrieving your records, just go to his office and explain the situation to the front office staff. Hopefully his staff will be more courteous than he was. Sometimes offices will have policies to release only records generated in their office and not necessarily old records or correspondence. They may offer you a copy or insist that they first copy the material and then give back the original. My bet is that since you have only recently established as a patient that his office will allow you to pick up the original records that you dropped off from your former physician. The policies and patient rights regarding these issues may vary depending n the state as they are governed by the medical board of each state. You may look up your local medical board on the internet or call to get more specific info on your states regulations on these matters if you need to. Good Luck, Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much for your informative answer. I didn't really want anything he had written. I only want what I personally gave him that was given to me, so I shall check the medical board where I live. It is sad when a woman is too scared of a Doctor to ever want to see him again. Strangely, all he ever wanted to do to me was a pap test. My shoulder pain and perimenopause was of no importance. I am not walking away, I am running. :)

Thank you sincerely,

Ana

Good luck in finding a quality physician this next time. Best Regards, ***** ***** MD