Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

high school I had un-protected sex with a girl (the condom fell off)

Customer Question

When I was in high school I had un-protected sex with a girl (the condom fell off) and it was a one time occurrence. I was 16 years old then, and I'm now 23. Although to this day, I'm still nervous about it...I've been sick a lot lately (congested) and tired and always wonder if it was from that (HIV/AIDS). What are the % chance of getting infected from a one time occurrence? Also where is the best place to get tested? I've been trying to find a place that does the oral test (painless) with instant results. Also I've noticed EVERY PERSON I've ever talked to all over the USA does NOT use a condom for oral sex. Is that perfectly safe? If not, there definitely needs to be some kinda of PSA, because no body does, and I'm in college so I see a lot.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

A one time sex risk is suppose to be 0.4%, so is not at all significant. You should not be worried about it with your present symptoms as they do seem to be linked with HIV. You mist be having a local STD clinic in your area. They are the best place to get yourself tested as they do it discreetly. The other way is to get them done by your primary care physician. The tests are mainly done by taking your blood so there are not oral tests and there are no instant results. Oral sex have potential to transmit many sexually transmitted diseases, so it cannot be said to safe. Here is a list of the STD risks by oral sex in this resource;

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/ohe/library/Sexhealth/sti/riskchart.htm

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
"You should not be worried about it with your present symptoms as they do seem to be linked with HIV."

Did you mean do not seem to be linked?

Also, did you mean there are no ORAL tests for HIV/AIDS?

Yes, your these symptoms are unrelated/unlinked to HIV.

No there are no oral tests for HIV/AIDS.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I mentioned this, because of false positive result (I am sorry for not clearing this, but this is what I meant) increase in the oral tests and this can be emotionally breaking. A negative test after that by blood test, still keep the doubt in the mind. This is a CDC site;

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/rapid/oral-fluid_qa.htm

This is the latest guideline for the rapid test for the reconfirmation;

http://www.labtestsonline.org/news/oral_hiv080815.html

So a reconfirmation is needed.

It is to be safe to get a blood test on first hand.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also is it a 0.4% chance if they are infected?

If they are not infected, the chance comes to zero. If they are infected, chance go to 0.4%.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I always thought it was a sure thing if you had sex with someone who had it. Why does it matter if its just one time, does duration of the one time matter? 0.4% seems really low?

Also if it was 7 years ago, would I know by now?

It is not sort of all or none law. In one sex episode; virus may or may not be transmitted. The recurrent sex with an infected person increases the chance of transmission.

Yes, if you were positive, there was a quite a significant chance that virus would have shown by now.

Dr. Arun