Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

What are cahances honestley after 10 years my husband had

what are cahances honestley after 10 years my husband had vasectomy got reversal did sperm count after 6 months obviousley worked los of dead sperm only 3 barley moving is ther a chance his sperm count went up since then we want to bring another sample in and would be a year is it worth it hoping a urologist answers this question
The chances of pregnancy after Vasectomy reversal are depend on how early it is done after the vasectomy. IT is upto 80% when done within the first three years, and falls to 30% after 10 years. So for him the chances are 30%.

You can look it up here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasectomy/HQ01049

In his case, the sperm count after vasectomy is only 3. This is a very low sperm count. Hence he appears to have had a failure in vasectomy reversal. His sperm count will not improve by itself. I am afraid his sperm count will not improve with surgery or with any other treatment..

I would rather urge you to look for alternative methods of conception. You should not delay further by looking at ways to improve the sperm count. The best method for him with a sperm count of only 3 is ICSI. You can look up here:
http://www.babycenter.in/preconception/fertilitytreatments/icsi/

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well i talked to the uroligist nurse and dont worry im gonna pay you you haved help and ahe said if procedure failed there would be no sperm dead or alive and there were and she said it is worth brining in samlpe after year cause sperm count could of went up so just wondering are you a urologist or just a physician yhat is giving opion i really need to know that i will still pay dont have problem but if you were urologist you would know that procedure was not faliure even iff all sperm were dead there were still sperm so was a success maybe not good one cause they were dead maybe most dead cause had been 10 years or chemicals from vietnam,dessert storm and in iraq and my husband is a doctor as well ***** ***** DO and retired as full bird col. and was physician in millitary and commanding officeer for 15 years just retired in06 could all the chemicals .from being over seas could of made him sterileand now he is ER physician
I am a physician but not a Urologist.

It is possible that the chemicals have caused some amount of sterility. It is also possible that the vasectomy reversal has not been successful. It would be quite difficult to tell now at this stage whether his low count is due to his sterility or due to inadequate reversal of the vasectomy.

Even with this low sperm count, however, you can still have a pregnancy using ICSI. Please read up the link I gave. ANother method to acquire sperm is through needle aspiration directly from the testes, but in this case also ICSI has to be used.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.