Dr. RayA
Dr. RayA, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctorate(MD), with post-Doctoral training in Internal Medicine
12956727

Pain above the heal. When running it does not hurt as much,

Pain above the heal. When running it does not hurt as much, but after sitting for awhile it is painful to walk until it works itself out. What can I do to eliminate this pain?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RayA replied 8 years ago.
The pain you are describing is fairly classic for a condition called plantar fasciitis. Pain in the sole of the foot after resting, that gets better with activity is the classic presentation. Although your pain does not sound like it is in the sole of your foot, this condition can present with pain in a broad number of areas, all the way to the low achilles tendon. Ensuring good arch support, stretching the achilles tendon and the plantar fascia will be helpful. I've provided a link to an information al site below:

http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/heel-pain.htm