Peter Michael M.D.
Peter Michael M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Licensed Physician, 4 years. Radiologist, focused interest in educating people in imaging studies
13356279

My knee feels tight when I bend it and I get a pain every

Customer Question

My knee feels tight when I bend it and I get a pain every once and a while, on the right side of it and when I stand up if feels a little tight behing the knee. This is my left knee. I'm thinking that I twisted my knee from jogging?
Category: Health
Expert:  Peter Michael M.D. replied 8 years ago.
How long have you been jogging, and how long do you run for a typical jog?

Has your knee ever "locked up" on you? Any pain elicited in the knee when you push on certain areas?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, there is pain elicited in the knee when I push down on it in certain areas. Now, when I walk the pain is not there until my body weight starts to catch up with it. I can walk on it then the pain comes for awhile and then it goes.

I started a routine about two months ago swimming three times during the week and Jogging twice during the week. (Mon, Wed & Fri - Swimming and Tues & Thurs Jogging) . One mornning I was running to catch the bus and when I sat down I notice that I had a Pain in my knee. It felt throbbing and when I stood up, it felt electric pain or strain on the knee. This is week 3 now since it has happen and I still get a little pain now and then when I sit down and when I get up the strain on my knee hurts but not as much as before.

Greetings,
The most common reason that your knee hurts is from osteoarthritis in your knee. Arthritis basically happens when the normal cartilage that is in your knee starts to break down, causing your bones to create more friction when they rub together and move.

The finding, though, that is concerning is the immediate pain you encountered after trying to catch the bus. The throbbing type of pain that developed after this incident may be secondary to a torn meniscus. A meniscus is a piece of tough cartilage that helps the joint support and cushion itself when you bear weight on it. If this piece of cartilage is torn, it can cause pain, and can accelerate the arthritis that I am suspecting is already in your knee.

Unfortunately, the most convenient way to find out if you have a torn meniscus is from an MRI of your knee, which is extremely expensive. The treatments of meniscal tears depends on many different factors, but many treatments emphasize rest.

If the symptoms do not get better, and if you develop even more pain (even though it is getting better now), I would first consult a general practitioner for more information.