How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Susan Your Own Question
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1091
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Susan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A red spot has appeard on my penis on the doest itch

Customer Question

a red spot has appeard on my penis on the doest itch or hurt .it bothers me not knowing what it is.i noticed it about two weeks ago it was just a small red spot now its alittle bigger and pink and seems to be peeling like dry 34 years old and married to the same women for 15 years. thank you for your time and help. david
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 8 years ago.

Id like to try to help you but need additional information. Is this red spot fluid filled, like a blister, or flat and just red? Do you have any penile discharge? Are you and your wife monogamous? Any pain when you urinate? Are you circumsized? Does your wife also have any unusual feelings/ discharge vaginally?

Thanks for clarifying,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its hard to tell ,it kinda looks like a blister but not swollen i dont have any discharge or pain .iam circumsized. wife and i are monogamous. wife is not having any unusual going on .thanks dave
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 8 years ago.

Its hard to say, not seeing you, but I will certainly give it my best shot.

You may have the start of a fungal or bacterial infection of the penis, called balanitis. While most cases of this are in UNcircumsized men, circumsized men can get this as well. Balantitis, IF fungal, can be treated by over the counter anti fungal creams. HOWEVER, I do not know 100% that it IS a fungal infection (or even that it is Balantitis) though from what you write it does appear it could be such. Balantitis can also be caused by bacteria; if this is the case it would need antibiotic ointments or oral medications (depending on severity).

I therefore reccomend you see your physician regarding this, especially as it is a common occurence. And of course, not seeing you, this could be an entirely different thing; I am just stating what may be most probable. Certainly some STD's can cause a rash. One in particular can leave a painless red sort of ulceration that does not itch; that is syphilis. You state you and your wife are monagamous, so this is low on my list but it must be mentioned.

I would make an appointment to have this evaluated just to err on the side of safety.

Here is a helpful website regarding balantitis:

You will see it refers mainly to uncircumsized men.

Here is a chart of the STDs and their symptoms:

I hope I was able to help,
Nurse Susan and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your help .i have an appointment next wednesday, if its not gone by then.will it hurt to use antibiotic ointment
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 8 years ago.

No, it should not hurt at all to use antibiotic ointment. If this is a fungal infection, it just wont help.

Keep the area clean and dry as possible. Boxers not briefs for air circulation. I asked about your wife because if you have a fungal yeast infection, so may she...but that she doesnt have one doesnt mean YOU dont.