How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sarahfnp-bc Your Own Question
sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 408
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.
Type Your Health Question Here...
sarahfnp-bc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ring shaped rash on the inner part of my leg which

Customer Question

i have a ring shaped rash on the inner part of my leg which from time to time itches what is it and how do i treat it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 8 years ago.
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the question. I need to get a little more information from you if you don't mind.

Is the ring an isolated rash? Is there is just one spot no other scattered areas?
What color is it?
How long have you had it? Does it seem to be getting bigger or staying the same size?
Have you tried to treat it with any creams, aside from the steroid?

does it look like this?

Please let me know so as I can try to help.



Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 8 years ago.
Hi Karl,

I noticed that you logged off before you got a chance to answer the questions. So I will tell you my thoughts now. If you don't believe what you have fits the description, please let me know so I can get some more information.

You mentioned it was a ring and on your leg. That made me think it was an isolated rash. You also said the mometasone made it worse. Or itch more. All of those things lead me to believe what you have is ringworm. Ringworm is a fungal infection of the outer layers of skin. It's not actually a worm but gets it's name due to the circular type rash that resembles a worm.

It's medical name is ***** ***** It is related to other common fungal infections like athletes foot or jock itch. It is highly contagious and can be spread by animals, like cats, dogs or horses, or person to person. It can also be spread by objects that touched the rash on somebody else and then touched you. Like towels, sheets, or clothing.

I'm not at all surprised the cortisone you used didn't help. In fact it will make it worse most of the time. What you need is an anti fungal cream and you can buy them over the counter at any pharmacy. Lamisil usually works well.

Again, if this doesn't sound like you please let me know so we can explore other possibilities. Here is some more information on ringworm.

Thanks Karl!

sarahfnp-bc and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks i will try that