Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

The skin above my eyelids has a yellow color - only in the

The skin above my eyelids has a yellow color - only in the inner lid area- could this be a sign of any health problem or vitamin deficiency? I have noticed this for the past 2 years.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Justanswer for your concern.

I see it has been a couple of hours nearly since you wrote your question, but I am wondering if you have any other symptoms? If so you may write back with them which may help to narrow down possibilities. Also, from what I am understanding you are saying this is on the inner part of your eye lid, and not the sclera, or what is the white part of the eye, correct?

I will review some of the causes. Yellow skin can indicate jaundice, which can be caused by many things, usually either an overproduction of bilirubin, or an inability of the liver to remove it from your plasma, or to excrete it into the intestine via the bili ducts. Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemaglobin (in red blood cells- RBC's) and is created as the RBC's finish their aproximate 3 month life cycle.

You asked if it could be a sign of a vitamin deficiency, and I don't believe that it is. Occassionally yellow skin can be a sign of over eating yellow vegetables, such as carrots though.

Other causes may be related to liver problems of several types, hepatitis from viral causes or liver damage from medications or alcholol; kidney disease; mononeucleosis, mixedema, pancreatitis.

Of course, it may just be a natural coloring of your skin, perhaps from melanin buildup from sun exposure. It is hard to say with out examining you.

Especially if you have other symptoms, or if you have not had a physical in a while you should make an appointment with your doctor so that lab testing can be done and any serious problem either ruled out or treated.

If you have questions or comments, please reply with them so that I can address them.

Thank you,

Susan