Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I'm 34 and last year I had a P.E. My mother and grandmother

I'm 34 and last year I had a P.E. My mother and grandmother also suffered a P.E at one point of their lives. What birth control method can I use safely?

Greetings.

With you history and family history of pulmonary embolism, the oral contraceptive pills have to be avoided. The best method for you would be IUD (intrauterine contraceptive devices). In hormonal methods, only Progestin injection also can be employed as contraception. Read this resource for the details of the contraceptive methods and their side effects and complications;

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040215/853.html

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your quick Reply Doctor. However would the contraceptive Mirena which is an estrogen free intrauterine contraceptive be an optio? :) Thanks again!

Mirena releases very low dose estrogen. And blood clots would be extremely rare (almost non existent) as hormone is almost not absorbed (or very negligible amount) in the blood. Doctors would not be having a consensus on this. But personally I would prescribe an IUD without an hormone with your medical history. This is to exert an extreme caution.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you you've been extremely helpful. Keep up the good work!

Customer/p>

xo

You are welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
As one of the mentors in the health category, I would like to correct the information that you were provided.

The Mirena IUC contains levonorgestrel (a progestogen) but it does NOT contain any estrogen. For this reason, there is no reason that it can not be used in someone with a history of blood clots.
http://www.mirena-us.com/what_is_mirena/how_mirena_works.jsp

Other options for you would include barrier methods (condoms, diaphram or cervical cap), tubal ligation or Essure (the last two would be considered permanent methods of sterilization.