Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

After getting a minor dog snap -just punctured skin with

Customer Question

After getting a minor dog snap -just punctured skin with very little blood- I would like to know if I need a tetnus injedtion and if so how long after the incident
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Hello,<br /><br />Greetings,<br /><br />When did you have your last tetanus injection? <br /><br /><br />Regards
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.

Greetings,

When did you have your last tetanus injection? When did the injury occur?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HAPPEDED LAST NIGHT SO IF NEED INJECTION WHAT IS THE. MAX NUNBER OF DAYS BEFORE SHOT. cANT REMEMBER LAST SHOT POSSIBLY 10 YRS
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

If you do not know your past immunization status then you should take the booster. If it is 10 years also then you will need the injection. The sooner you take the injection the sooner the antibody level will start to develop. So you should take it early. As the wound is sore then there is the possibility of infection too. An antibiotic can be needed. Please read this resource also.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/surv-manual/chpt16-tetanus.htm#9

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery
Any query, please ask.
Regards.